Late last week I showed you a some concepts for different hairstyles which would be inspiration for the Miss Unkon show at MBFWA. The models walked down the catwalk on Monday evening, and the final hairstyle was pulled back with a braid pinned on top.
As we discussed in a recent article, braids are hot right now and I love that the trend has been included on the runway.
Craig Smith (Australian Hairdresser of the Year Finalist 2012) worked his magic backstage with 14 other stylists to create this look. When asked about the show he said,
“It was unreal to be back at Sydney Fashion Week and working with the Miss Unkon production team was awesome. Courtney and the crew are so cohesive as a production team. Whilst they are totally holistic in their approach in terms of the vision that they have for the show, they really allowed me to hold the creative hair reigns.
In terms of the hair brief, in a fairly stark contrast to the romantic textures and graceful form of the clothing, the hair for the show had an underlying strength and slight youth punk feel. I really wanted to explore the ‘explosive creativity’ that underpins the essence of the Designers current collection concept, whilst keeping in tune with the beautiful femininity that defines the core value of the brand. I also wanted to reinforce the incredibly intricate metal detailing on the hemlines of some of the pieces, with the placement of the silver rings throughout the braid construction. ”
GET THE LOOK:
- To create a strong foundation, prepare the hair with ample Schwarzkopf Professional OSiS Grip Mousse, working through from just off the root area, through the mid lengths and ends. Fully blow dry and straighten.
- Take an ear-to-ear section and draw the hair smoothly to the top of the head into a ponytail, securing with hat elastic.
- Pull the remaining section to meet the origin of the first ponytail and secure, again with hat elastic. (By creating a ponytail in two sections, the hair stays a lot smoother, particularly with thicker hair types.) Use hemming tape to camouflage the hat elastic.
- Working from in front of the model, take various sized sections and braid the hair feeding the small silver ring embellishments through as the braid is constructed. Leave a ¾ cm ‘tail’ of unbraided hair and secure with hemming tape. Secure the shape of the ‘tail’ with Schwarzkopf Professional Silhouette Hairspray.
- Secure the position of the hair coming forward with bobby pins, at the mid length. Then fold the hair back on itself and secure.
- Using a colour brush, apply Schwarzkopf Professional OSiS Aqua Slide Gel to smooth from the hairline to the origin of the ponytail.
- Finish with a spritz of Schwarzkopf Professional OSiS Sparkler,
Beauty and Lace is an online magazine for women. We hope you enjoyed this article!