Gorge Northwood is one of London’s most coveted hairstylists, having mastered the art of the fuss-free blow-dry. His enviable client list includes Alexa Chung, Rosie Huntington-Whitely and Gwyneth Paltrow.
“I’m all about women being able to emulate salon looks at home. I think it’s about hair that’s easy, beautiful and natural, not too overdone. Most importantly, it’s about simple hair!”
Rather than go for that dead straight look, Northwood prefers his girls to look carefree but polished.
“I am over that poker-straight blow dry that was big in the 90’s. I just want hair to be smoothed out nicely and look natural.”
When Victoria’s Secret model Candice Swanepoel debuted her new platinum hair, she kept the look modern by sporting a care-free blow dry. Here are Northwood’s steps for creating this thoroughly modern model worthy look at home using the new VS Sassoon Go Travel Dryer.
- Wash hair and treat it with a spray in conditioner. If your hair is delicate or colour treated like Candice, opt for a leave-in detangling spray to prevent breakage.
- For lift at the root add a small egg-sized amount of volumizing mouse focusing on the crown and then work through hair using a wide toothed comb.
- Using your blow dryer on the highest heat setting, rough dry until 90% of the moisture is removed, remembering to lift hair with your fingers at the root as you dry and parting hair down the middle and drying flat onto face as you go.
For an international jet-setting model like Candice, there’s no better dryer than the new VS Sassoon Go Travel Dryer, which is the first travel dryer on the market with 2000 watts of power so you get all the benefits of an at home dryer with the compact versatility of a travel dryer. It features a concentrator nozzle for sleek frizz-free results and the dual voltage means never having to use those useless hotel hair dryers again.
- Start by pinning the upper layers of hair and focus on the bottom sections. Blow dry wrapping sections of hair over a natural bristle brush keeping taught at the root (hair sections should be a similar width as the brush).
- Holding the nozzle right on the brush, pull down through the length of the hair until smooth. For height, blast dryer under the hair at the root and pay special attention to the ends curling the brush slightly under for a smooth polished look. Repeat for entire hair.
- When hair is completely dry loosely blast with air using your hands to arrange hair where you want. Add a drop of hair oil for extra shine.
VS Sassoon Go Travel Dryer
Want the convenience of a travel sized dryer with the drying and styling power of your at home hairdryer? Want a lightweight and super compact dryer with a folding handle that won’t take up room in your luggage? Want a dual voltage dryer with a choice of heat and speed settings plus a concentrator nozzle that will work anywhere and everywhere? Want the power and technology of a professional dryer to create all the latest looks from Paris, London and Milan while you are IN Paris, London and Milan? Yes of course you do! Then get yourself the new GO dryer from VS Sassoon.
Would you like to win a VS Sassoon Go Travel Dryer? Then tell us why you would like get your hands on this great travel dryer and you could be in the running – 5 to win.
Competition closes 21/08/13 midnight AEST. You must be subscribed to the Beauty and Lace newsletter OR a Facebook fan to enter. Make sure you use a valid email address so we can contact you if you are a lucky winner.
Terms and conditions
– All decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
– Competition is a game of skill. Chance plays no part in determining the winner.
– Prize not negotiable, and cannot be exchanged or taken as cash.
– One entry per person
– Competition open to Australian residents only
– Entries are only valid if all required fields have been entered. No responsibility accepted for lost, late or misdirected entries.
– All entries become the property of Beauty and Lace. Your details will not be given or sold to any third parties unless required for claiming of the prize.
– We reserve the right to make changes to the prize and competition if required.
– Winners will be notified by email.