Two times winner of the Australian hairdressing industry’s most prestigious award ‘2005 and 2006 Hair Expo Australian Hairdresser of the Year’, Brad Ngata shares his tips on how to work your hairdryer for flawless effects…
The Look: Straight and Sleek
- Start by detangling your hair using a wide toothed comb, then rough dry your hair using your hands until your hair is 80% dry, as your hair only begins to take on its final shape when almost dry.
- Always use a thermal protectant, such as KMS California Flat Out Hot Pressed Spray. This will stop hair drying out and protect against heat damage.
- Use a quality blow-dryer like a Parlux
- Put a nozzle on your blow-dryer- this way the airflow is directed in a concentrated stream.
- Use a paddle brush (the best for the smooth silky look) and a medium natural bristle brush. (Size depends on the length of your hair- the finer the hair, the smaller the brush, the greater the root lift so bristles need to be more open and not closed together to allow air to penetrate)
- Use clips – butterfly clips or long, flat hairdressers’ clips.
- Separate sections of your hair and pin the top layers out of the way and begin with the underneath- the nape area.
- Always work the brush and direct the nozzle (or air stream) in the same direction as this helps smooth the cuticle down. Work each section in the same way.
- When you’re finished, ‘set’ the hair with a blast of cool air.
- Brad uses KMS California Flat Out Smoothing Serum to de-frizz any area and promote shine and KMS Anti-Humidity Spray to seal down the cuticle and expel humidity (your absolute ‘must’ last step!)
- Curly hair needs silicone- based products, like those in the KMS California Flat Out range, to seal the hair and dispel humidity.
- For curly hair, blow-dry with a diffuser on low speed and apply a product like KMS California Flat Out Smoothing Serum before the hair dries to enhance and separate curl.
- Be sure your dryer is not set too hot. Over-drying will bring on the frizzies.
- To ensure smoothness, you need to keep going over the hair, brushing constantly.
- Never use a brush on fully wet hair, always use a wide toothed comb.
- Come in and visit Hair Direction and ask for a demo on techniques you can use yourself for your best at home blow dry!
Beauty and Lace is an online magazine for women. We hope you enjoyed this article!